Sunday, November 15, 2009

Last Post for Rememberance Day

I joined the military as a musician in November 1983 and at some point, that I no longer remember, I started playing "Last Post" for Rememberance Day ceremonies. I remember at first, needing a tiny photocopy of the music for Last Post taped on to my trumpet lyre (a small attachment for holding music while marching). Now, the music is tattooed on to my memory, and in no small way, a precious part of my identity as a musician. The performance of Last Post has certainly provided some of my most profoundly memorable musical experiences with the military.

This year's performances have been particularly profound. I fell on the opportunity to play Last Post for the Nicola Goddard memorial concert on Nov. 7, which was organized by Jean-Louis Bleau, involving a large combined choir and the U of C orchestra performing at St. Mary's Cathedral a composition by Welsh composer, Karl Jenkins, called "The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace". By the time that it came time for me to play Last Post, in the deafening silence provided by the composition at that moment, in that cavernous cathedral, I was dizzy from hyperventillating in my brave attempt to breathe slowly and deeply to remain calm and prepared. I played it out loud and clear and with all the air that my lungs could muster.

On November 10th, I was given the honour, for my second time, to play Last Post for a Spanish immersion elementary school in Canyon Meadows. This time the choir consisted of children singing Rememberance Day songs in Spanish and English. It was another emotional event in a completely different way.

Finally, on November 11th at the 11th hour, it was my honour to perform Last Post at the Museum of the Regiments, standing at attention on the dias in front of 12,000 participants. Simple dutiful trumpet calls packed with powerful emotion. It has been a great honour to "serve" musically in this way.


2 comments:

  1. Great to know a bit more about you and your musician career Mikezão.
    Keep posting, hey?
    beijos,
    Renata Xavier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigado Renata!!! and for being the first to comment on meu pequeno blog, you win the grand prize of a biggie beijos!!!

    ReplyDelete